Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Winter, Winter Go Away!


What do you do when you have no heat and the temperature outside is in the low 40's??? You turn the oven on and bake cookies!!!!!






I am officially done with winter. Yep, DONE! Before all of you living above the Mason-Dixon line in the land of the Frozen North start giving me a hard time, I have lived in some cold places and have endured some cold times (I'm having flash backs to grad school as I type!). We are having for the first time in a really, really long time cold winter weather. Not so much the snow part, but just the cold part. Anyway, it is usually not this cold here. Often around this time of year, God gives us a taste of spring to help us endure the next few weeks. Not this year! I usually can get by wearing shorts with one or two days of jeans. I haven't seen my legs all winter! Or really, any part of my body as I have been as covered up as I can possibly get. Temps have been in the 20's at night (usually 40's this time of year), and 40's during the day (usually 50-60's).
Late last week I noticed the house seemed colder than usual. Then I noticed the heating unit seemed to be making a sound I wasn't familiar with. Friday night Captain Daddy declared that the heater wasn't working and cut it off. We have a downstairs and upstairs heating units. Everyone moved upstairs to sleep for the night. A service call was made on Saturday and the repairman came out (time and a half). Turns out he couldn't fix it till Monday because he needed a part. Thank goodness we have a fireplace! Except we can't use it during the day as we are in and out too much. The repairman came out yesterday and again, could not fix it because the part wasn't in, and he will try again today.

It has sort of been like camping in your house the past few nights (sleeping bags, hats on your head, etc). The house is so cold that it doesn't even register on the thermostat. I hope the heater gets fixed today, although I expect the weather to turn warmer after it does get fixed:)
With all of my appliance woes the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of thinking of how complicated our life is with "things" and "stuff." It also makes me appreciate these things a lot more as well! I think about how The Princess lived in a very poor and rural area last winter in Jiangxi. They went through one of the worst winters last year. The fact that I can stand in my kitchen and cook a meal without wearing a down parka is a luxury I take for granted.
So I will be thankful for what I have even though at times I may not be comfortable. The appliance issues are minor in comparison to the things that are really important to me, my family and husband.
But I am still done with winter!

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Me, too. I want to be outside and warm while I am out there!!

And cute batter-eating pics!

Vivian M said...

I hear you....and glad Spring is just around the corner! We baked cookies yesterday too!