Saturday, March 14, 2009

This Little Piggy......

Shoes.
I have friends that would literally "work for shoes." In fact, they probably do because I seldom see them wear the same pair more than once. I have never understood the fascination/obsession with shoes. Maybe it is because growing up in the south I went barefoot all summer long (March through October). I hated when school started and I'd be forced to wear a pair of new shoes! The only time that I guess I owned more than a couple of pair of shoes would be when I was in my teens. When spring would roll around I would head for the nearest beach store and buy a pair of flip-flops in every color (2 pair /$1.00) so I could easily coordinate with all of my hawaiian-print clothes! Even today I have 2 pair of black shoes (dressy & casual), 2 pair of Sanuks, and 4 pair of flip-flops (leather, gold, silver, and red).
My first children were boys. Shoes were and are of none importance to them. A couple of pair of shoes (sneakers and topsiders) are all you need. The only exception was when playing sports then you needed the appropriate footwear/equipment.
Then along came the Royal Duo. I'll never forget the time when the Queen (approximately 2 years old) and I were hurriedly shopping at a store when she spotted a display and stopped dead in her tracks and exclaimed, "look at those shoes and the purse!"
At any point in time there are at least 6 pairs of shoes in my vehicle (affectionately known as the Bus). The Queen has taught me that you never know when you will need to change your shoes. Usually it can be 2 or 3 times before you arrive at your destination! Hence, my girls have more pairs of shoes than I can count.
We recently went to Walmart and went on a shoe-binge. You have to get your summer shoes early. Plus, we are really ready for spring and new summer shoes help to get your toes ready to wiggle freely.

The Princess and The Queen wearing the modern version of the flip-flop.


The duo wearing the "you can never go wrong with white" modern version of the flip-flop.

Canvas shoes for those "closed-toe" times.

Ah-h, the awesome, all-purpose, OP flip-flops.


The Cinderella-style shoes.



3 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

The Tongginator would totally and completely agree with that philosophy!!!!!

Vivian M said...

LOL!!!! Kerri is girly but shoes are not her thing, she prefers to go barefoot! Thank goodness. Clothes, however, is a totally different story. And she is definately a bag lady.

Sonia said...

It's definitely a girl thing. We are going through the same thing with our girls and their shoes and purses. We have a rubbermaid tote full of purses. And we made a Walmart trip, too. Came home with the same white flip flops as you...

Our girls rock!