Thursday, April 16, 2009

Adoption Fundraiser


Me? No, no, no. Not now anyway:).
I am sure by now that if you have followed our blog or know us, you know that ADOPTION is near, and dear to my heart (not to mention usually no more than a few steps away from me at any given moment - day or night:). Some people may think that adoption is the "easy" way to have kids. Trust me, I have had two born of my flesh, and two born of my heart. If more people had to undergo the microscopic scrutiny of every aspect of their life (marriage, financial, family, health, relationships, background checks, etc.) just to biologically have a child; there would be less children in this world! It ain't "easy." No matter how you slice it, the adoption process is not easy. Ever heard of an "accidental adoption?? Didn't think so. I can hear it now. "Honey, you better sit down, I've got something to tell you. I'm five documents along." "Five documents? Are they notarized, certified, and authenticated? Shouldn't we see an agency or something to make sure we're adopting?"
Ok, let me get back on track... No the adoption process is not often easy. Especially the financial aspect of adoption. There are costs associated with preparing your paperwork, paying adoption agency fees, governmental processing fees, travel costs, etc. Not every family that is called to adopt is also independently wealthy either. Many families step out in faith and trust God to meet their needs during this process. I mean really, isn't God the author of adoption? He adopts us into his family when we accept His Son Jesus as our personal savior. We become His adopted children.
Several local adoptive parents (me included) are in the initial stages of our adoption ministry A Sea of Hope. One of the things that we want to do is be able to help families to lift some of the financial burden during the adoption process through interest free loans. Currently, there are 3 families that A Sea of Hope is helping to raise funds for. The first family is seeking to adopt a 10 year old girl from China. You can read more about them at Waiting on Lucy. Another family is adopting a 6 year old, special needs child from China. The third family is awaiting their referral of a child from China. The families are in various stages of the adoption process. For the fundraiser charity event, for each $5 donation you make you will be entered into a drawing for one or more of the following prizes listed here. The drawing will take place on May 23, 2009. If you have a heart for adoption and would like to contribute to help these families to bring their children home, please go to A Sea of Hope.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families,..
Psalm 68:5-6 (New International Version)
Thank you!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Amen to all you said about adoption, Teri! I was listening to a local talk radio show this morning, and the topic of conversation turned to Madonna trying to adopt another child. While I won't get into whether or not I think Madonna should be adopting again, I cringed when callers were saying things such as, "People adopt foreign kids because it's trendy" or "They just do it that way because it's easy".
Of course, most of the people that have such strong opinions about how others should form their families are people who have never adopted and have no intention of adopting. Off my soapbox now!