Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mama's Got A Brand New Thang...

I have a new thang! No, it isn’t my only passion (obsession). I have many passions, like Captain Daddy, my kids, all kids, adoption, adopting, helping orphans in China, scrapbooking, blogging, etc. It is just the newest one to get me fired up and motivated. Can you guess what such a hip and cool beach mama, such as myself, could get excited for????
Done guessing?? It is SEWING. Didn’t guess that one huh? I have always had an on-again/off-again relationship with sewing, all kinds of sewing (cross-stitching, quilting, embroidery). Back in my younger beach days I actually made my own clothes. Yep, I certainly did. You see even though I am hip and cool (enough that my sons bought me a Def Leppard CD for Mother’s Day!), I am not mainstream, and like what I like. I would find a pattern and change it to be what I liked to wear.
But my relationship with sewing, has been let’s say, out of sorts. First, I don’t like reading the patterns and trying to decipher the terrible illustrations. I am more of a hands-on, visual kind of girl. It also seems like there are a lot of unnecessary steps in a pattern; there should be an easier way.
Second, is this….
...my 30+ years Kenmore sewing machine that belonged to my beloved mother. It has always been a cantankerous machine, but durable. I took it to be serviced last year thinking that may make it feel better, and therefore, more cooperative to work with. But alas, it just doesn’t want to be touched and used.
So, for the past several years the only sewing I have done has been to begrudgingly hem a pair of pants or sew merit badges on Scout uniforms. But my infatuation for sewing resurfaced with all those Matilda Jane and Custom Boutique type clothing that I saw on-line. I loved the one-of-a-kind look, but not the out-of-my-budget price. So I started scouring the etsy shops. Then I discovered e-patterns. E-patterns with step-by-step photographic instructions of the work in progress. W-a-y cool.
I purchased a few e-patterns. I drooled over fabrics I saw on-line. I was inspired! My first project was this cute little, primitive Mae rag doll from Bit of Whimsy Dolls. I struggled with that old sewing machine, but managed to finish 2 dolls for my girls. They aren’t stitched perfectly, but good enough. Aren’t they adorable?
Yeah, the dolls are adorable too, don't you think?





The Queen's dolly.


The Princess' dolly.

There is definitely a learning curve in creating these dolls. I couldn't seem to get away from the "Hey Arnold" (old Nickelodeon cartoon), football shaped head. But I will keep on stitchin'!
By the end of the project I had made the decision that it was time to put the past behind and move forward into an advanced technological age. This was made possible by the fact that Mother’s Day had come and gone and Captain Daddy (not able to think of a gift) said a new sewing machine would be fine.


I am looking forward to getting to know my new machine!




6 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like you're enjoying rediscovering sewing. One of my goals is to take a basic sewing class soon. I took sewing in 7th grade and was terrible at it! Right now I have to ask my mom to hem the kids clothes, etc. Guess it's time to learn to do it myself! I love the dolls, too (the living ones and the rag dolls!)

Tricia said...

Any chance you could make three for my girls? How much would you charge? They are adorable.
http://thejoysofmommy.blogspot.com

a Tonggu Momma said...

Wow! I'm so impressed... I'm banned from sewing machines, glue guns and all things crafty. I love the dolls. And my MIL is right now in the process of piecing together our 100 Good Wishes quilts.

Sonia said...

Teri,

Your dolls and your girls look wonderful!! And wow, I am lusting after your new machine!! I have an older Pfaff. It works like a top after it was serviced and I love it. But I look at these new fangled things and all they do and I start to lust.

And yeah, we can be totally cool, totally crafty moms - all at the same time.

Fritter Chicks™ said...

Just left you an award on our blog! Congrats!

Vivian M said...

Woohoo, like your new thang! And the dolls are really cute! (All four of them) ;o)