you look in your pantry and you have not just 1-1lb bag of Grits, BUT 3-1lb bags of Grits! In addition, you have not just 1-1lb bag of Hushpuppy Mix, but also 3-1lb bags of Hushpuppy Mix (you do know what a Hushpuppy is, don't you?). And don't forgit the jar of Molasses on the shelf above for sopping up with a biscuit! Yes, those are the quantities of those STAPLE items in my pantry as I write. I won't go into detail on how many bags of Corn Meal are on the shelf:).
I love being a southerner and living in the south. We embrace our own uniqueness. So I present to you here a few other "tell-tell" signs if you were to encounter a southerner.
- When a Southerner orders "tea" at a restaurant it is understood to mean SWEET, Iced-tea, not unsweet tea. No siree! We like our tea sweeter than a Coca-Cola.
- Barbeque is PORK and cooked on a pig-cooker with vinegar-based sauce. None of that tomato stuff fer us. And don't forget a side of Brunswick Stew.
- Boiled peanuts are yummy, and are sold at roadside stands, or in front of a store, sort of like Girl Scout cookies.
- When you start seeing RC Cola in vending machines, you are probably so far south that you may need a passport to get home.
- Speaking of soda, other favorites are Cheerwine, Sundrop, and Dr. Pepper. You can get your Dr. Pepper and Sundrop not only in a "diet" variety, but also "caffeine-free." Oh, and we say SODA, not pop:).
- You know the difference between a Hissy Fit and a Coniption.
- We also say "ma'am" no matter the age of the female being addressed.
Can you think of any? I don't have time to as I now have to go tend to my young-un.