Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Goodbye, Bond

I received this plaque one Christmas from a friend. Included was this description of the plaque:




"A century ago, people down on their luck rode the rails. Known as hobos, they developed a system of simple pictures to communicate with each other, carving or chalking them on trees, fence posts, and pavements. A smiling cat meant “A kind-hearted woman lives here”–someone likely to give a weary traveler a meal."



Over the past 17 years, there have been probably 2 dozen cats that have made their residence here at the Sand Castle. Some have stayed a short time, others longer. Some became pets, others just tolerated. There is never a shortage of cats around the house. Currently, we have 3 that we claim as pets, two that belong to a neighbor (but pretty much live here), and then there was Bond.

Bond appeared about 4 months ago, maybe even longer. With 2 black and white cats already hanging around, a third doesn't get noticed as quickly. He looked as though he didn't belong to a family. He was thin and bore the marks of many fights. Though I believe that he did have a family at one time as he was not feral. His initial appearances were brief, only stopping by long enough to eat. Occasionally, I would find him sleeping on one of my porches or up in the tree house. For the most part he was tolerated by the other cats, as much as any of the others.




I looked forward to his visits. He seemed to appreciate the food offered to him.

He was very vocal! He would talk to me as I talked to him.




He was never aggressive towards the other cats like tomcats tend to be.
I hadn't seen him for a few days, which wasn't unusual. Sometimes he would not appear for a week or more. Today we found that he had passed away near our garden shed. I don't know what he died from; he could have been hit by a car, or attacked by another animal.




I'm sure going to miss him.

Goodbye, Bond.



4 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, I'm so sorry... we have a feral cat that decided that we are her people. I would be devastated if something happened to her.

Kim said...

Sorry to hear this, Teri. Losing animals is hard. Our dog died two years ago and the kids still ask about her weekly. How are the girls handling Bond being gone?

Beach Mama said...

Kim,

Bond was more of "my cat" than the girls. I haven't said anything to them yet about the cat. If it was one of our inside pets, I would tell them.

Vivian M said...

So sorry about Bond. ((Hugs))