Monday, June 29, 2009

One Year Ago Today.....

On Sunday, June 29, 2008, our family 0f 5 boarded a plane in Beijing heading for Nanchang, Jiangxi. It was our 4th day in China. We toured Beijing and now we were on our way for the purpose of the trip. According to our itinerary, on Monday we would meet The Princess and become a family of 6.


Godzilla and The Queen share a pop-tart while waiting for our flight to be called. The flight was interesting as we were the only non-Mandarin speaking family on the flight. Four hours later we arrived at the Nanchang airport. We were met by our wonderful facilitator/guide, Mary. After we had gathered our bags and as we were heading to the taxi I asked Mary what time on Monday we would receive The Princess. She gave me a quizzical look and replied, "She is coming in a few hours. You will get her this afternoon." My heart jumped into my throat. OMG!
When we got to our hotel I frantically started unpacking and searching for the toys and gifts that I had brought. Every time I heard someone in the hallway I would look to see if it was The Princess.

The Princess and her entourage arrived at 5:45 p.m.

She arrived wearing a ruffled dress with Mickey Mouse on it, pink sandals, and a silver necklace. She also had a death grip on a few snacks and an obnoxiously loud Teletubbie telephone. I think she was trying to dial "911."





She was completely overwhelmed and unsure of what was going on.


But she quickly warmed up to Captain Daddy and the kids.




Look at that smile! I apologize for the blurry photos, but we had just bought the camera and hadn't figured out the settings yet.

It has been a good year! The Princess has grown and thrived in so many ways. We are so blessed to have her in our family.

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

What a sweet, sweet post. Isn't it amazing to look back and see how far they've come?

liliannattel said...

I so enjoyed reading this! So much has changed in the last couple of years in adopting from China. Our first time we were one of nine families. Our second time we were one of 20 families from two agencies adopting the same day from a rural orphanage that had 100 babies and a few older children (2 of whom were also adopted within a year or so). I still don't know what's caused this rapid change. Do you?

Kim said...

It's so wonderful to see how well she's doing. I don't know if I ever told you that Lydia is also from Jiangxi province. She was at the Jiujiang SWI. We stayed at the Lakeview Hotel in Nanchang. You have know idea how happy I am to see her doing so well. You know why she's always held a special place in my heart!

Vivian M said...

Happy one year anniversary!!!! Are you all coming to the reunion this year? I can't remember, and so want to see you!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing with us this very special day.