Thursday, August 13, 2009

Summer Vacation is Almost Over

No, we aren't packing up and moving. These two HUGE (and heavy) boxes contain my home school curriculum that I will be using this year for The Queen. The boxes have been sitting in my foyer, unopened for the past two days. As I look at them, I feel overwhelmed.

You may ask, "Why are you going to home school The Queen when your boys are in public school?" The answer is, "They are a lost cause." No, I am just kidding!!!

Our decision to home school has come after much thought and prayer. I think the seeds of homeschooling started about 10 years ago. At that time we became friends with a wonderful family through our Cub Scout Pack. Miss M was the Packmaster, and mother of 2 boys and 2 girls. She also home schooled her children. Her children are smart, well mannered, out-going, self-confident, independent, and a host of other descriptive words. In other words, "she done good!"

I adore Miss M. She has inspired me over the years, whether she knows it or not. She has inspired me to be comfortable being me and the Mama that I am.


Yes, my boys are in public school. Big Tuna will be a senior in high school and Godzilla will be in 5th grade. They have both done well and make good grades. Neither have wanted to be home schooled. I also see things that they have or haven't been taught or allowed to develop because it doesn't follow the State mandated goals. Both of my boys are completely different from one another. Big Tuna is gifted in "math/science", while Godzilla's talents lean towards the "writing, creative, and art." Godzilla doesn't even begin to tap into his talents in public school. Only during school breaks and summer vacations does Godzilla have the time or energy to explore his talents.


See what I mean.

Getting back to The Queen. She is smart. I don't mean that in a bragging way. It is just a fact. Recently, our State changed the birth date cut-off for starting school. The Queen missed the new cut-off date by 7 days. She is so-o-o ready for Kindergarten. It wouldn't do her any good to keep her back a year. I also don't want her to be in a "one-size fits all" class environment. I really don't want that for any of my kids. I would love to home school Godzilla as well. The Princess still has a few years of preK to go.


So, in light of all of that, the timing just seemed right for homeschooling. Not to mention all of the cuts in the State education budget this year. Yep, the time is right.


I spent a lot of time researching homeschooling, curriculums, etc. because I am that kind of person. I love research and think that you can never have enough data! While that is one of my strengths, it is also one of my weaknesses. I can spend too much time doing research and lose site of what I am supposed to be doing. But that is me. We also knew that my time would be limited with 4 kids and everything that goes with it. I was worried that I would spend too much time compiling and getting things together for teaching The Queen, that I would burn out. Since we are new to homeschooling we opted for a complete curriculum. I am sure I will tweak it as we go through it, but at least I won't be starting from scratch.


While at this point I still feel somewhat not ready, The Queen most certainly is.



See how talented she is? She can work on the computer and suck her thumb at the same time!


I'll keep you posted on our progress and challenges!















3 comments:

Sonia said...

Computer skills and thumb-sucking? Now that's really cool! Seriously, Teri, you are brave for letting her on the computer. I feel guilty...

Annie said...

Hi and thank you for your comment on my blog!! I am very curious to see how you like home schooling. We are thinking about it for our 11 year old. He is starting 6th grade and wants to be HS'd but it scares me a little. We have decided to see how the 6th grade goes and if he is having trouble, we will pull him out and bring him home. We have looked into the Veritas Program. Did you look at that one? Would love to hear about your research, whenever you have a minute:) BTW, the Queen is a doll:)

Vivian M said...

Wishing you the best of luck in the new school year! Keep us posted on how you like homeschooling!