Friday, September 18, 2009

How (Not) To Spend Your Friday Afternoon

It has been fairly busy here at the sandcastle. Big Tuna and Godzilla attend public school; The Princess attends preK 3 mornings/week; and I homeschool The Queen. You can rest assured that when Friday rolls around you can sometimes hear a sigh of relief in my voice.
We have also had an unusual year weather-wise. We just went through one of the coldest winters; very mild spring and summer. We actually had a change in seasons. Global warming ain't happening in southeastern NC! Last week we had the weirdest weather in that about 10 inches of rain fell on our small town. In fact it was almost localized within a small radius that included our house! It was a s though a hole opened in the sky and the faucet was turned on us. Weird indeed.
Anyway, to get back on topic. They actually do come together. Today after getting through lessons and picking up The Princess, I was ready to sit back a spell and relax. The girls wanted lunch and I went in the kitchen to fix their food. As I am heating up the soup and staring at the wall over my stove I see specks that look as though they are moving. Now, I really do need a new pair of glasses and sometimes what I see isn't what I see. Upon closer inspection I see black specks moving on other walls. I start looking in the cabinets. Ants. I do hate ants. They were everywhere. I guess because of our water-logged soil they decided to move into the house and higher ground. Not only were they crawling on things, but they were in things as well (syrup).
I started having flashbacks to the "Exploding Prune Juice Bottle Incident of 2004" when my beloved Father-in-law (God rest his soul) left an opened bottle of prune juice on the counter for a week and a half. To quote my FIL, "I ain't never seen anything like that!" That incident also occurred on a Friday afternoon. No, this wasn't on my list of "things to do" no matter how far down the list I went. There are lots of "things" that need to be done, but this wasn't to be found on my list. I knew what had to be done. I also know why things like this happen. Things like this happen so you will clean out those cupboards and throw away all of those spices and stuff that you have had since the beginning of time and will never use. It's like hurricanes. They happen so you will clean out your refrigerator.
I spent all afternoon cleaning out cupboards, washing down the cupboards, which them turned to pulling out the stove to clean under and behind it; which then lead to completely deconstructing the kitchen. I just better not see an ant in the morning!
Even though we have had a mild late summer; I'm afraid that a freak hurricane will head our way. "Why", you ask? My refrigerator needs to be cleaned out.
Now this post is interrupted for some things of interest and cuteness.
Godzilla has been on a creative streak in drawing dragons. Lots of mutant dragons, actually. We have also started cleaning his room. This means he has found things he hasn't seen in years. He's back to building Bionicles. Again, the "off-species" variety.


Not sure what this guy's name is.

Ok, this is Rocker. His only job is to move rocks.

Now for some cuteness.



Don't you just love how The Queen can multi-task? She can play a computer game, cuddle her nai-nai (blanket), and such her thumb all at the same time. She told me that she wasn't sucking her thumb. Big girls of 5 years old don't suck their thumb. And she is a big girl.
BTW, has anyone heard the weather forecast lately?

3 comments:

Annie said...

OK!!! I am cleaning our my fridge as we speak!!! Lived through Hurricane Hugo and do NOT want to do that again!!! Hehe!! The ant thing happened to me when I was single and living in am appartment! YUCK is all I can say and I feel your pain! I am sending anti-ant vibes your way right now!!!

Vivian M said...

Yuk, I hate bugs!!! I am so sorry your Friday plans were ruined, hope the weekend is turning out much more restful!

Sonia said...

Hope your ants are all gone by now! Sorry you had a tough Friday. But I am just making sure... you did clean your fridge right? Just don't want any hurricanes. Hugo was enough for me. (We lived much closer to the coast then...)