Monday, September 7, 2009

A Week of Learning

Several years ago there was a popular poem/book titled:

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten
by Robert Fulghum

Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.
These are the things I learned:
Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work everyday some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

We have had a full week of homeschool plus a field trip on Saturday with Godzilla's science teacher.

Here are some things I/we have learned this week:

  • Give the Princess a pair of scissors and she will cut a piece of paper to confetti.
  • I actually enjoy homeschooling (so far:))
  • The girls are actually retaining the information I am teaching to them.
  • The Queen is smart and I may not be able to keep up with her.
  • The Queen may be teaching me before it is over with:).

  • The Golden Silk Spider has some of the strongest web silk. In the tropics, fisherman used to use the webs for nets. No kidding, if you pluck the silk, it sounds like a guitar string (and doesn't break).
  • The female Golden Silk Spider grows to be very, very big!


  • The best part of a nature hike is the snacks that you eat.

  • The female Wolf Spider can carry a lot of babies on its back.

  • A Dung Beetle uses its back legs to roll the dung ball. How does it know where it is going?

    And closer to home,


  • Each cedar shingle goes through a 4-step process before being ready to use on the house. (dipped in primer, hung to dry, dipped in paint, and hung to dry.)
  • We can hang 75-80 shingles per line in our Garage Mahal.
  • We can hang 8 lines of shingles, or about 640 shingles at one time.
  • It takes 3 of us 2 hours to dip and hang 8 lines of shingles.
  • It takes 6 of us 3 hours to dip and hang 8 lines of shingles:).


And out of the mouths of babes:

Words of wisdom as spoken to the Queen by Big Tuna:

  • It's not nice to boss people around and tell them what to do.
  • NO Barney!

And the ultimate words of wisdom from The Queen:

  • You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit!


And finally, when it rains it pours. (This is my half-flooded yard.)

The news this week of the death of Lavender Banks has saddened me. I feel like I have cried buckets of tears for this precious child. Lavender's adoptive mother was a woman the Chinese adoption community fought for when the CCAA said she could not adopt Lavender (they had approved the adoption but then rescinded her referral after they learned she was an African-American woman). The CCAA eventually reversed their decision, but a very good adoption agency in Tennessee had their China waiting child program pulled from them by the CCAA in retaliation for fighting for their client, Lavender's adoptive mom. As more
details emerge about Lavender's adoptive mother, the situation gets harder and harder to bear.

God's peace and love be with you Lavender. You are missed and mourned by many.

5 comments:

Kim said...

So glad to hear you're all enjoying homeschooling! Lydia is doing well in kindergarten, but I'm not enjoying the hecticness and busyness of the school year. I feel like all they do is go to school, get ready for the next day, then go to bed! I'm thinking we will most likely be homeschooling next year, too.

Sonia said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start with homeschool. And the Queen sounds like she lives with me. Don't know how many times I've told my kids that lately.

I am with you on the Lavender Banks issue. It's the saddest thing I've heard in a long time.

Tricia said...

It is a very sad week in the adoption community. That little darling was fought for and then lost in such a terrible way. She is in better hands now.

I loved your week in review. I'm glad you are enjoying homeschooling your little girls.

Annie said...

So glad you are enjoying it so far!! My fear is too that my kids would have to teach me before too long!! I guess you learn some things together!! The "you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit" is said quite often over here!!

I am also saddened and sickened by sweet Lavender's death. It is absolutely heartbreaking!!! I remember whe the yahoo groups were going to bat for this Mom and now this!! So incredibly sad!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

The Tongginator learned that one at preschool, too - you get what you get and you don't pitch a fit.

Only... somehow it breaks my heart to hear that sentence and then later read about little Lavender. That sweet little one... it breaks my heart.