Tuesday, November 3, 2009

You're Still The One (Part II) or Operation Night Out

Captain Daddy and I very seldom ever go out on a "date." In fact, I can't say I remember the last time that we did. I know it had to been at least Pre-The Queen (5 years ago). The Queen has always been my "Velcro baby." I wore her in a HipHammock for at least 3 years. I'm talking all day wearing. The Queen has become somewhat relaxed in the past 2 years. I can be out of her sight for more than 5 minutes, but she will still call out to locate me. The Princess does it only because The Queen does it. Anyway, over the past few months I have been experimenting with leaving the house without them. They are OK if Captain Daddy is here because he usually lets them run around and get into all of the things I won't let them get into. Daddies are like that. I have also left the girls at home with Big Tuna while I pick Godzilla up from school. Now, it isn't just a "bye I'll see you later-walk out the door" departure. No, there is usually some planning involved before my foot lands on the doorstep. I get The Queen occupied with something fun like NickJr on the computer, then slip out the door. Well, more like "running and not looking back." Every time when I ask Big Tuna if the girls did all right, his response is, "Yeah, they were okay because I told them you were in the bathroom." They must think I spend a lot of time in the bathroom!

Well, Captain Daddy and I felt pretty confident that we could go out (sneak out) on a date by ourselves. Alone. So then came the question, "How are we going to do it?" You would have thought we were planning a strategic military maneuver! Operation Night Out went like this:
Step 1 - Be accountable. We have friends in our church that have the same anniversary day, October 28th. Early in the month we decided that the 4 of us would go to dinner. Now, we were accountable for going out on a date. No backing out at this point.

Step 2 - Mum's the word. We didn't mention a word of this to any of our children! Well, not until the time was appropriate, like running out to our vehicle. Also, when we did mention it, we referred to it as a "meeting', not like something fun or anything.

Step 3- Proper Preparation/Training. I prepared an arsenal of entertainment/activities so as to be able to depart un-noticed. Two days before "Operation Night Out" I took the girls to Target. After drooling over all of the toys that the store had to offer, I settled on a brand new DVD and Play-Doh Ice Cream Maker. New stuff. Yeah, new untouched Play-Doh.

Step 4- Anticipation. Now that the new stuff was in their hands, I told them that they could not play/watch it UNTIL Captain Daddy and I had left for our meeting. For two whole days they could see the new stuff, but not play/watch it. They started to ask when we would be leaving. They started counting down the days/hours. "Now, are you leaving now?" they would ask.

Step 5 - Fried Chicken and Barbeque. We have a SCNB restaurant that we love to eat at. In fact after every trip to China, SCNB was our first stop once back into NC. A few hours before Operation Night Out was to commence I purchased a Family Pack from SCNB with double fries. Yes, my children were ready to push us out of the door!

Operation Night Out was a complete success! We had a lovely dinner with our friends. We had grown up conversations. We shared our "how we met" stories. We had a wonderful time. See for yourself.

Let's start with the desserts!


Captain Daddy ordered Key Lime Pie. Ladies and Gentlemen, this was no ordinary slice of pie. The pie was at least six inches high. I think that is mango-raspberry puree drizzled oh-so-prettily on the plate.

Do you think it tacky of me to take photos of the desserts?


Seventh Heaven! Lawsy! Sweetened biscuits with Hagen Daaz ice cream and topped with not just blueberries, but also raspberries! What a party for your taste buds!


Dear friends J & B. Happy 13th Anniversary!!


Beach Mama & Captain Daddy

You're Still The One!

3 comments:

Annie said...

So glad you had such a great night!!

Jennifer said...

Date night is GOOD. Glad you had a wonderful (adult) evening.

Vivian M said...

Oh I like your preparation, I think I might try this some day with Kerri. We have not had a date night in years!
Glad you got some grown up fun!