Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lobbying for the Federal Adoption Tax Credit

People often ask, "How much did it cost to adopt?" While I don't like to discuss the money issue, there are financial costs to adopt a child, domestically or internationally. I would venture to guess that most families that adopt aren't filthy rich. They are just everday people. I would also venture to guess that the cost of adoption probably sends people running away. There currently is a Federal "Adoption Tax Credit" that has helped many a family to make adoption a reality. The tax credit helped us twice to offset the cost of adoption somewhat and to make adoption more affordable. The adoption Tax credit is due to expire December 2010 unless Congress votes to continue it. What worries me is that this current Congress seems to be doing everything anti-family, so I am not hopeful that this is something they will extend. That is unless we do something now, before it is too late.
The Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee of 2009, H. R. 213 would keep the adoption tax credit from being repealed, and may make the tax credit measure permanent.
It only takes a few minutes to call or email your senators and congressmen - it's imporatnt for them to hear how this tax credit has impacted not only families, but all of the children that have found forever families.
I wish that there were no orphan children in the world. I wish a few more could find there way to our home. This tax credit should be made permanent to help more children find forever families.

1 comment:

Kim K. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. Amen to this post. I can't imagine not having the Federal Adoption Tax credit. It was a life-saver last year for our family.