Monday, April 19, 2010

It’s The Little Things – Memorial Box Monday

membox

Today is Monday, the beginning of a brand new week.  Ever since I began following “A Place Called Simplicity”, I became intrigued with the idea of a Memorial Box.  You may wonder, “What exactly is a Memorial Box anyway?”  You can read read about Memorial Boxes here.

I have since been reflecting on all of the things that God has done in my life.  It is pretty amazing to see His hand on so much of my life.  I also realize that it is much easier to “see” the big things He does in your life.  But what about the little stuff?  God provides so much for me in so many ways; in ways that could go un-noticed if you don’t look for Him.

Now, I realize that this may not be the typical Memorial Box Monday post.  But I think just as it is important to remember and pass along to others the greatness of God in the big things, it is often the small things that help to get us through everyday.

The Princess is coming to the end of the year in Preschool.  I am homeschooling The Queen and Godzilla (did you know that?).  The Preschool has a dress code; our home school's dress code is more much more relaxed.  The Princess is required to wear closed-toed shoes.  Now this is a hard thing for my flip-flop wearing beach girl.  So when The Princess goes to Preschool it is always an ordeal trying to find her shoes and socks as we rush out the door.  This problem is exasperated by the fact that the shoes and socks are often taken off any place in the house or our vehicle, so they are never where they are supposed to be.  One shoe and sock may be in the vehicle, the other shoe/sock could be by the swing set.  As I find the socks around I put them in the laundry basket to wash.  This often ends up with many unmatched socks!   Good thing my girls think wearing two different socks is a cool thing!

DSCN3672

Just a few of our unmatched socks.  Where do they go?

So, I made a comment to my friend that as soon as Preschool was over I am throwing out every sock in the sock drawer.  It is bare feet and flip-flops from the end of school on!  I am so tired of trying to find a matching pair of socks!

Yesterday at church, a dear friend of mine came up to me.  She tells me she has something for the girls.  She had bought a big pack of socks for her tween-age daughter, but she purchased the wrong sized socks.  She had a bag of brand-new, perfectly matched socks!  For us.  For my girls.  They are exactly the girls’ size. 

This morning as I easily found and put on a pair of socks on The Princess I thought how God cares about everything in our lives.  The smallest details.  The unmatched socks.  If we let the unmatched socks get to us, it will lead to frustration; placing blame on others for not taking care of their socks; which can lead to anger; and hurt feelings. 

So today I am thankful for my sweet friend who thought to give us a bag of socks.  I am thankful to remember that God is in my life and that He cares about smallest details.  That He wants to meet my needs, no matter how insignificant.  That He wants me to come to Him for my needs, no matter how trivial they may seem.

DSCN3607

My Memorial Box

For my Memorial Box I am going to place a small, unmatched sock. 

DSCN3671

It’s the little stuff that I don’t want to forget.

10 comments:

trina said...

I can sooooo relate!! Lots of unmatched socks. And totally understand about the shoes. They are never where they are supposed to be.
But God always knows where they are...and he knows our hearts and our needs.

For the best laugh ever, go see Tim Hawkin's most recent dvd, "I'm No Rockstar." I laughed so hard I cried when he was talking about getting shoes on when it's time to go some where. You have to see it. He's talking to his kids and he is saying, "I don't care if you have one flip flop and one rainboot, get in the car!"

Kim K. said...

What a beautiful post. I think us "Mom's" can totally relate to unmatched socks. I'm counting down the days until sun and warm temps are the norm. Bring on the sandals!!

Annie said...

Wonderful post!!! I often thank Him for the big things and often forget the small ones!! Thanks for the reminder and I am SO jealous of the new MATCHING socks!!!! LOL!!!

Sara said...

Delighted to meet you today. I too want to remember the joys of my little ones dancing in childhood (and yes, sometimes with unmatched socks)

I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to take a dip in God's goodness.

Splashing for His glory,
Sara

Blessed Family said...

What a great post! I think God likes us to thank him for the little things as well...

Kat said...

As a mom of five (soon to be seven) I can TOTALLY appreciate this! Awesome that God provides down to the smallest detail. Just awesome!

Renee said...

Oh I love this story! God IS in every single detail...big and small of His children. Isn't it exciting?! My little ones all have little ones of their own....but often after a family gathering I end up with unmatched socks here after everyone has gone home!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Thank you for helping me to remember to not let the unmatched socks get to me. *grin*

Mom Of Many said...

Oh what a very, very sweet story....and yes{!} it is totally seeing Him working in what would often be classified as "the little things"....thank youso much for sharing!! xo

Jen said...

My 18 year old daughter never wears matching socks! she hasn't for years. usually she's in riding boots so it doesn't matter, but even in sneakers the socks are wildly different. and she doesn't care what anyone thinks!