Sunday, May 23, 2010

What To Do? A Suggestion.

I have struggled/wrestled with the post for the better of two weeks.  I am not the most eloquent of writers.  I write like a talk; which means there is a southern twang to my words.  I hope what my heart is telling me comes through.  I’m just not sure how else to go about this.  Just bear with me….

I apparently live in a box.  Not physically, but mentally.  My small world.  I choose to live  this way because of my interests/passions.  Children.  Family.  Adoption.  Orphans.  These are the things that I surround myself with.  I have children.  I have adopted children from China.  Many of my friends are parents and/or adoptive parents.  I read many blogs of families with adopted children.  I belong to many adoption-related Yahoo groups.  I have a “Change-A-Child” orphan ministry at church.  We sponsor children through organizations such as Love Without Boundaries.  I live in a small world.

In a perfect world, there would be no orphans.  Every child would have a family, parents.  But we live in a secular world where much of the ills of today has wrecked the family institution.  As a result, the children are hurt the hardest.  It is unbearable that children should have to deal with the issues that are thrust upon them.

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27

It seems recently that there has been much in the media about adoption.  Particularly international adoption.  None of it is good.  I mean the “news stories.”  I guess it isn’t news if it can’t have some horrific twist to it.  Although the stories have been on ISOLATED events, it is disturbing none the less.  The good news about this is that many people, and I’m speaking of mainly bloggers, are addressing many aspects of adoption.    I personally appreciate Tonngu Momma’s, Linny’s,  and Stephanie’s posts about adoption.  If you have a moment, please read their posts.

My husband and I were called by God to adopt.  Believe me when I say it was a God thing!  I have also tried to champion for the orphan.  I.hate.that.word.  Anyway, I feel God has laid something on my heart to share with you.  Like I stated earlier, I live in a small world.  But in this small world there are many, many that really need prayer.  I’m not talking about a popcorn prayer of “oh by the way…”  I’m talking about prayer on a big scale!  Prayer where we all come together and pray for the same thing.  I really think God moves when He hears His people calling out to him, especially when we cry out for the orphan.  I’m just a small time blogger with a handful of readers.  I don’t even know how to go about getting a really big scale response.  But I also know that God can take my loaf and feed the multitudes.

Here is what I feel God would have us do:  PRAY and FAST for His will regarding orphans.  I know, how am I going to go without food?  I think about food all of the time.  I do know the times when I have felt compelled by God to fast, I have been able to do it.  I can’t do it if my motive isn’t pure.  You may be asking, “What do you mean ‘His will regarding orphans’?”  God wants us to care for orphans.  He has a plan for the life of each orphan.  If we pray for God’s will, the He will set the lonely in families, He will remove the obstacles, He will be the Father to the Fatherless.  Am I making any kind of sense?  I feel like I am not.  Again, I am not the best writer on the block.  I guess what I am trying to say is if for one day, we pray and fast, to put the orphan at the forefront of our thoughts, to make the orphan a priority, then God will move.  He wants us to be unselfish for the orphan.

I am suggesting that on June 1, 2010, that we set aside as a day of prayer and fasting for the orphan.  June 1 is “Children’s Day” in China and it just seems to be an appropriate day to lift up those precious children without families. 

So, I ask you to please join me.

3 comments:

Kim K. said...

Count me in. It's an amazing life journey. Our lives will be forever changed because of our international adoption journey. We sought this for purely selfish reasons...I couldn't have more children. Adopting is the best thing we could have ever done. I can't imagine our family any other way. Hugs.

PS. Well written.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I will absolutely join you. Caring for orphans is a commandment... some are called to adopt, but ALL are called to care for the widows, the orphans, the poor. It's a responsibility, one that the Christian church needs to take seriously.

Goosegirl said...

I hear your heart. Your post was beautifully written and I do understand. My heart hurts for all the little ones that have no mommy or daddy. And Ahnalin really really gets it. I will be on a field trip with her kindergarten class on the first, but I will be praying. I will fast a meal and pray. I so wish we could adopt more. We still feel we have at least one son waiting somewhere.