Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pet Woes

It has been a tough couple of weeks here regarding our pets.  We have 2 geriatric dogs, 3 cats, and 2 – 3 transient cats that live here.

CoCoThis is Coco, our 15 year old Chow/Golden Retriever mix.  This is what she looks like in the winter.  In the summer we shave her down and she looks like a completely different dog.  I remember the first time I took her to the groomer for her first haircut.  When I went to pick her up, this “dog” came up to me and kept trying to get to me to pet her.  I asked whose dog she was and the girl laughed and said, “Yours!”  Anyway, she has become quite frail in the past 6 months.  She can hardly hear, can’t see very well, and has what I call “doggy dementia.”  I worry about her just because she’s old.

SparkieThen there is Sparkie.  She is our 12 years old West Highland Terrier or terrorist as I refer to her.  She is a purebred, but acts like a mutt.  Her fur is only white for a few hours after visiting the groomer.  These dogs love to dig and roll in the dirt.  Anyway, I noticed a few weeks ago that she had an infection in her eyes.  I don’t think she had it very long.  I took her to the vet and they discovered that yes, she had an eye infection AND an ulcer on her right eye.  I began medicating her and at the next check, the vet suggested she see a animal ophthalmologist (can you believe that?).  The reason being that her eye could rupture.  Oh goody.

I take Sparkie to the eye ophthalmologist and he thinks she needs immediate surgery to “patch” the ulcer so it can heal.  The “patch” translates to traveling 2 hours away to another city and having surgery to the tune of at least $1,000.00.  While I love our pets, I don’t have the $$ to do a risky surgery on a 12 year old dog.  So, I am still medicating the dog (every 2 hours) and the ophthalmologist doesn’t think it will heal quickly (2-3 months) because of her age.  In the meantime, her eye could rupture.  Oh goody, goody.  I am supposed to keep her “calm” so as not to rupture the eye.  Well have you ever tried to keep a dog “calm” without sedatives?  She vigorously shakes her head every time I out a drop in her eye.  I guess we will continue this course unless something changes (the eye ruptures or a money tree sprouts in my yard).  The good news is that the infection has cleared up, so it isn’t eating up her eyeball anymore.

But the really sad thing is Cleo.

DSCN3663Cleo appeared about 6 years ago.  She is the most loving cat.  She is our only outdoor cat.  About 3 years ago something got a hold of her (we suspect a bobcat) and mauled her pretty bad.  She lost an eye from the damage caused by this animal.  (What is it with my pets and their eyes?).  Anyway, she became the best one-eyed huntress in the area.  Recently I started letting her in the house, much to Captain Daddy’s dismay (we have 2 indoor cats). 

DSCN1589Cleo was always there to greet me, rub against my legs.  Sometimes it was hard walking because of her “figure 8s” between my legs as I walked.  She never left the yard, and most likely you could find her on the back porch…until about 2 weeks ago. Cleo disappeared and I suspect that something got her, again, only this time it was fatal. 

Goodbye Cleo.  I suspect you are in Kitty Heaven sleeping on God’s bed at night and eating tuna off His kitchen counters.  I will miss you.  I have sworn off any new pets, but should you find you still have one of your nine lives left, please come home.

5 comments:

Sonia said...

Teri,

I am so sorry about Cleo and your other pet woes! They do become a part of our family and it hurts to see them hurt or pass on.

Thinking of you, my friend.

Kim K. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and all the medical needs of your furry family members. Hugs

Annie said...

Oh Teri, I am so sorry about Cleo! It is so hard to loose a beloved pet. They become such a wonderful part of your family! I hope your sweet doggies will heal and live many more years to come!!

Vivian M said...

I am so sorry! I hope Cleo comes back safe and sound. I am an optimist :o)
And as for your older poochies, hang in there. Sending you huge hugs and hoping they all get better soon!

Tricia said...

I am so sad for you all. Pets have such a special place in a family. It just breaks your heart to see them suffer or lose them.