Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our Classroom or One-Room Schoolhouse

We are well into our 5th week of school.  This is our second year of homeschooling and I feel like I have a better perspective on the whole homeschooling process.  I have a feeling that it will be a continual process of tweaking/modifying as we move forward over the years ahead.

One of the things that drove me crazy last year was my lack of organization.  We had planned on making our garage upstairs our school, but that didn’t happen for many reasons.  We started out at the dinging room table and working out of a few boxes.  The problem with that is I didn’t have a good idea of what was even in the curriculum boxes until well into the school year.  Gee, I wish I knew I had some of those things earlier!

When Godzilla started school later in the year, I knew I had to do a better job. I took over the not-quite-finished family room (aka “junk room”), and made something that resembled a classroom.  I know, I know, some homeschoolers cringe when you mimic a “classroom”, but I needed one place to have everything instead of scattered over the house.  Imagine my happiness when I discovered Sue Patrick’s Workbox System.

Here is our classroom toady.  There are still things I want to get to make it more organized and functional, but that will have to come over time (and money).

DSCN4565

DSCN4564

No, it doesn’t always look this clean.  In fact, it seldom looks this clean.

We have a big table that we can all come together for games and to spread out.  I also use this room for sewing.  It is also a playroom.

DSCN4551

DSCN4547 

Godzilla and the girls each have their own desk and workbox (drawer carts).

DSCN4545

The Princess working out of one of her drawers.

DSCN4555

The Princess’ area

DSCN4558

Of course she has Princess-themed workbox tags.  She also doesn’t know how to put the numbers in order yet:).  She is more into aesthetics…

DSCN4557

…and make-up.

DSCN4552

Here is The Queen’s area.

DSCN4554

She prefers Tinkerbell and Fairy friends for her workboxes.

DSCN4559

And Godzilla?

DSCN4563

Godzilla workbox tags, of course!

I assemble their daily lessons in their workbox and they work through them.  We have been on a temporary/review schedule for the past few weeks.  This week we will begin our curriculum and be on our normal schedule.

DSCN4358 

KitKat has become our school mascot.  Everyday she goes downstairs with us to the classroom and helps us with our learning.  She especially likes to lay on the table when we are trying to play a game…or in a sunny spot for some learning osmosis.

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Looks fabulous! Glad it's going so well!

Kim K. said...

You are definitely looking extremely organized. I'm super impressed. I love your kitty mascot too.

Annie said...

Girl, you are way more organized than I am!!! Looks great!!!