Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween- Part 2

As I may have mentioned in my previous post, my kids love to dress up for Halloween and get free candy.  When Big Tuna was younger, his costume choices always seemed to be some TV/movie character or something “cool.”  We went through a series of Mighty Morphin Power Ranger costumes, Wolverine, Ninjas, Star Wars, etc.  He was pretty much a “store-bought” costume kind of kid.  I didn’t mind buying him costumes as he used them to play in all of the time.  I got my money’s worth out of them.

Not so with Godzilla.  He plans next year’s costume the day after Halloween.  Or sometimes a few days before this year’s Halloween.  He is always planning his Halloween costume.  His ideas are never in sync with current Halloween costume trends.  He is “off-the-shelf”  when it comes to costumes.  This started at a young age.  It probably has something to do with the fact that he became a fan of “Godzilla” at the young age of 2.  Let me tell you that “Godzilla” was not a popular costume option since about 1955. 

But that did not stop my child from being “Space Godzilla” when he was 4 years old.

Picture 001I had to create/sew a child’s “Happy Dinosaur” costume into a “Space Godzilla” with space crystals.  Don’t you love the “Godzilla Angry Face?)

Here’s a close-up.

Picture 002I was THAT Mom that had to explain this costume to everyone. 

In fact, I pretty much have to do that every year.  Do you remember last year? 

DSCN3072  “

You remember my son don’t you?  Dr. Gregory House?  House, M.D.?  Ah, now you remember.

This year was no exception.

halloweem10-10Easy, right?  Let’s see that is Belle on the left and Snow White on the right.  Who is that in the middle?  A tourist?  No.  Jimmy Buffett??  No.

halloween10-5Now do you get it?  No? 

Maybe this will help.

DSCN4704Okay!  Now you get it…sort of.  He is Poseidon, Greek God of the Seas, in his HUMAN form.  Otherwise he would blind you.  Yes, he passed out his “business cards” to everyone to explain his costume.  Sigh. 

We have read the entire Percy Jackson series, so Greek and Roman mythology are kind of big right now.  To help ease his pain, at the last minute I dressed up as Medusa.

halloween10-8Godzilla gave me a bunch of his toy snakes so I clipped them into my hair.  With hair like mine it is sometimes hard to tell if it’s curls or snakes.  My hair is like that.  Especially by the end of the day.

I have to say a special thanks to my dear friends who covered for me by taking photos of my kids, since I  left my camera at home.

halloween10-11

By the way, the kids really made a candy haul this year.  It was the first time that The Queen and The Princess have gone trick or treating.  Living out in the boondocks means we don’t have many houses to go to, and you have to drive to get to the other houses.  We crashed on my friend’s neighborhood where there is a high house-to-candy ratio.  Good candy!  I’m talking chocolate!  Full size candy bars.  Since The Queen doesn’t like chocolate, she put together a special bag of candy for me consisting of almond joys and M&M’s.

halloween10-2halloween10-3It sure beats scrounging around in The Princess’ bucket as it is quite sticky.  The Princess continuously takes inventory of her trove.

1 comment:

Kim K. said...

I love your son's creativity with his costume selections. You must be so proud!! Those snakes were quite lovely. Your little princesses are quite cute too. Happy November! I'm still packing up all our party Halloween decorations. It will take me all weekend.