Friday, December 31, 2010

Being Bold in Prayer

I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what He will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint.  Habakkuk 2:1

Have you ever opened your Bible and searched for the writings of Habakkuk? I would venture to say, “not too often.” I have been surprised to find some pearls in this short, three-chapter book. One such pearl I came across and will quote back to the Lord is chapter 2 verse 1. Habakkuk tells the story of how he questioned what the Lord was doing with His people. It is a great illustration of how we can seek out the Lord's plans, reason with Him, and then fall at His feet when He answers us personally. However, in this case, the answer was not in favor of the people, Habakkuk stood in awe of God's awesome power and mercy.

As a Christian, I tend to think much about what God wants from me. I spend time praying for the things that I think He wants me to pray. I always pray for “His will to be done.” I think sometimes that may just be because I’m being shy/wimpy in my prayers. In many cases, I know what His will is (it’s all over the Bible). In praying these wimpy little prayers for things that are important to Him, I’m allowing an out for me. Does that make sense? My relationship with the Lord should be stronger than that. The Lord wants me to not only pray for the things I want and need, but also He wants me to reason with Him, wrestle with Him, and be honest in my prayers. In Isaiah 1:18 the Lord says, "come and let us reason together." Habakkuk had questions and he was not afraid to reason with the Lord, even to the point that he states in this verse that he will stand, wait and watch for God to do something. Talk about boldness!

I believe that God wants me to be BOLD in my prayers; He wants each of us to be bold. He wants us to come to His throne of grace with boldness and receive the mercy He has freely given through His Son Jesus. God wants us to pray with that same boldness, asking, seeking and knocking to know His will. Is something on your heart today about which you are not being completely honest with the Lord? Do you have questions or maybe you are upset with the way things are going? Go to the Lord in boldness. Tell Him your thoughts and feelings then tell Him that you will "sit on the ramparts [watchtower]" and wait for His answer. I am not going to be afraid. I want to see God's goodness, just as Habakkuk did. "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joyful God my savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He enables me to go on the heights." (Habakkuk 3:18-19) Now that is a great promise!

So, as I start this new year in reading the Bible daily, I am also going to be bold in my prayers.  The more I get to know God, the more freely I can share everything honestly to Him in prayer.  I am going to sit on the ramparts and wait for His answers. I expect to see His greatness this year!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wonderful post, Teri!! Something that I needed to hear. I am trying to read my Bible everyday as well. It is going very slowly as I read when I go to bed and well, you can imagine how long that lasts but I am determined to read it ALL!!! I will try to be bold in my prayers today! My friend Sharon and I want to have a day of prayer for the orphans next week. Didn't you do that here? Could you email me and let me know how you set it up? I am going to search on your blog as well!

Stephanie said...

Amen sister! What a great challenge! I totally agree with you and am going to consider and act on being bolder in prayer.

I'm glad to have you in our B90days group!