Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Big Tuna!

For those of you that have followed my blog for a while, you know that January-April 15th is the busiest time of year for our family.  With Captain Daddy being a CPA, “tax season” places its toll on the family.  Add into the mix Chinese New Year, Valentine’s Day,  AND the Birthdays Marathon, well it is just plain B-U-S-Y around here!

DSCN5033

Big Tuna celebrated his 19th birthday the other day.  (I know, I’m too young to have a 19 year-old.)  When I asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday, he replied, “Mr. K’s cake,”  Big Tuna had tasted a cake at one of our church dinners made by Mr. K.  It was one of those old, southern recipes for a 15-layer cake.  The kind where you bake multi- separate, thin cake layers and put a wonderful chocolate icing between each layer.

I had tried for several months in getting the recipe from Mr. K and his family with no progress.  Finally they informed me that they were not willing to share the “family” recipe with me.

But, being me, I was not about to let that stop me from making my first born the birthday cake his heart desired!  I googled the cake recipe and came up with several versions.  I finally settled on a 12-layer cake recipe and increased it.  My goal was to make a 19-layer cake for Big Tuna’s 19th birthday.  I spent an entire day in the kitchen making this cake.  I ended up with only 16 layers.  I learned much about making this kind of cake.  Even though the cake didn’t turn out exactly (in many ways), it is was scrumptuous!

DSCN5042

(Reminds me of a geologic model of sedimentary layers:)  There was some reverse thrust faulting going on until it experienced the ice age (freezer) and some stabilizers.)

DSCN5039

Happy Birthday Big Tuna!

Philippians 2:13 NIV
for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

You are a child of God, His treasured possession. He created you in His own image. He chose the day for you to be born. He has a plan and a purpose for your life.

3 comments:

Kim K. said...

That is one AMAZING looking bday cake. Celebrations all around!! Sounds like a busy month.

Annie said...

Happy, happy birthday!!!!! I think the cake looks incredible!!!

Vivian M said...

Happy birthday Big Tuna!!! Your cake looked delish and amazing!