Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Xiao Jiaozi

Jiaozi (dumplings) for breakfast???

DSCN5564

Well, yes!  What better time than to start the day with yummy jiaozi!

DSCN5563

I often call The Princess my Xiao Jiaozi, meaning my little dumpling:)  Many eons ago, back in my single days, I took a Chinese cooking class at a local community college (God knew I would need to know how to cook Chinese:)).  As I look back on my life, I see where China and Asia has always been a part of my life in little ways.  I had no idea how it would all come together, and I am still looking forward to seeing it all the way through!  But, I digress…

The Queen was a young baby when we brought her home from China.  She never really experienced her culture, foods, etc.  She is American in every way.  Now The Princess was 2.5 years old when we brought her home.  She had also lived with a foster family.  She experienced everyday life and foods from her native country.  Although The Princess pretty much takes The Queen’s lead when it comes to many things, but not Chinese food!  The Queen won’t even eat rice unless it has tons of butter on it.  The Princess loves Chinese food, and I do my best to make it part of our everyday lives.  It is not necessarily something we “Take Out.”  I cook Chinese food.  Now I don’t go as far as the Cantonese do by cooking/eating anything.  I do have my limits.

My favorite cookbooks are by Grace Young.  She brings the wisdom of the Chinese kitchen to life in all of her books.  I also like to follow Jaden Hair over at the Steamy Kitchen.  She has some traditional Chinese type dishes as well as various Asian/Asian-fusion type recipes.

If you aren’t into eating jiaozi, then maybe you can make some to play with?  Over at Tea Rose Home you can get a step-by-step tutorial on making felt no-sew potstickers.  I have found several sites where you can make felt play food (egg rolls, fortune cookies, etc.).  This will be one of our summer fun projects. 

Ok.  Now I am hungry.  It is time for lunch!

2 comments:

Kim K. said...

What cute pics. Dumplings are a favorite at our house too. Have fun making felt food. I'm slightly addicted and made a ton of Chinese felt food for Josie's play kitchen.

Sonia said...

I like cooking Asian, too! But I'm not as well-versed as it sounds like you are!

Do share the felt food sites you found if you have time. We need a summer project or two for the girls.