Friday, July 8, 2011

July 8, 2005 – The Trip (Literally)

Six years ago today we were on our flight to China to adopt The Queen.  But I would like to back up a few hours prior to our departure.  First, our adoption journey actually began about three years earlier (2002).  So, the fact that we had gotten to this point was truly a dream come true.

Our flight our of the US to China was scheduled for July 8, 2005.  We were departing out of an airport in another city.  We had decided to drive the afternoon before to the city, spend the night, and then fly out.  But we all know what they say about “the best laid plans..” 

The morning of July 7, 2005 I had finished packing our bags.  We were traveling as a family of 4, and going as “carry-on-only.”

Pic025 

Four carry on bags and four backpacks with enough for five people.  I surprise myself sometimes.

Since Captain Daddy is a business owner, and as is usual for any type of vacations/time off, he had been working around the clock.  Which means I had only seen him in passing in the last few days. 

We were planning on leaving at 3:00 p.m.  I had been taking a Beth Moore Bible study, “Living Beyond Yourself, Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit.”  While waiting for Captain Daddy to come home I thought I would continue with the homework.  I was working on “Peace” and I must admit to having a felt very peaceful and calm at the moment.  About that time Captain Daddy called saying he wouldn’t be home for another hour or so.  He asked for me to go check something in the garage for him since he was running late.  I went out to the garage and on the way back into the house I stepped into hole in the yard.  Down I went and snap went my foot!  My easy, peaceful feeling immediately vacated my body!

My first response was, “I broke my foot!”  My second response was, ‘There is no way I just broke my foot!”  I was still in denial as I crawled back inside the house.  I thought if I just elevated my foot it would feel all better.  Wrong. When Captain Daddy came home I told him that we needed to make a quick stop by Medac on our way out of town.

The x-ray and doctor confirmed that my foot was broken.  He said that the type of fracture had about a 50-50 chance of healing without surgery as long as I stayed off my feet for the next few weeks.  I interrupted the doctor at that point to explain that whatever needed to be done to my foot had to be done right then and there because I was on my way to China and NOTHING was going to stop me.  The doctor just threw his hands up in the air, put a wooden bootie on my foot, and said, “good luck.”

It was now about 8:30 p.m. when we finally drove off into the sunset to get to our departure city.  But since Captain Daddy had been working so much and had so little sleep, he could not drive.  So I did.  With my broken foot.

So here we were on July 8, 2005 waiting to fly to China.

Copy of Pic026 (2)

My carry-on bag came in handy as a walker.  We made it to China, thanks to God and Ibuprofen. 

Pic019

to be continued….

2 comments:

Kim K. said...

I can't wait for the next installment. I can't believe you were in China with a newly broken foot. Yikes!!!

Sonia said...

Alright, hurry up with the rest of this! I am waiting impatiently!