Friday, July 5, 2013

2013 – 2014 Curriculum Planning

Can you believe that it is July already?  Me neither.

This marks the end of my 4th year homeschooling.  And let me tell you I have learned a lot in those 4 years!  We have finally gotten into a pretty good groove this year.  I have three that I homeschool, and it takes some getting used to when you start adding addition children into the daily mix.

We pretty much homeschool year around.  I know lots of people like to take the summer off, and that is great!  But for our family, homeschooling year round seems to work best for many reasons.  First, we can take a leisurely approach to getting through our coursework. Second, it is HOT in southeastern NC in the summer!  No one wants to go outside for any length of time, unless it is to the beach or pool.  So, if you’re gonna hang around inside the house, you might as well make good use of some of that time.  And there is still plenty of time in the day for that!  Third, we don’t spend much time reviewing previously learned concepts as we are continuously moving forward. 

So, at this point I usually start planning for the coming school year.  Again, this is probably the best year we have had as I have discovered some things that help us all stay on track and keep things moving smoothly.

We pretty much use Accelerated Christian Education School of Tomorrow (or A.C.E.) exclusively. As I have stated before, it works for us and our family dynamics.  It is a proven curriculum that has been around for about 40 years.  If you want to learn more about this curriculum, visit: The Curriculum Choice for their review.

With that said, planning is fairly easy.  So the first thing I need is a planning sheet.

DSCN8036

I came up with this simple table and I fill it in as I make my decisions.  It also helps me as I can note where I may already have an item.

DSCN8037

I make one up for each child because as we all know, each child’s needs are different!

DSCN8038

I can handwrite the info or enter  the info on the computer.  The computer is better for me as I am always printing things and then losing them!  There are a few non-A.C.E. curricula that we use.  It also allows me to plan-budget for the school year.  As you know, homeschoolers do not receive any kind of Federal or State funding (thank goodness!).  I can make purchases throughout the summer or as far ahead as I need to offset the overall cost to our family budget.

This is how the 2013 – 2014 school year is looking so far:

DSCN8027The Princess 2nd Grade

Math:   A.C.E. Math PACEs 1016 – 1024* (4th)

English:  A.C.E. English PACEs 1013 – 1024

Spelling:  A.C.E. Word Building PACEs 1013 – 1024 and/or  All About Spelling Level 1

Literature:  A.C.E. Creative Writ/Lit PACEs 1013 – 1024

Handwriting:  Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power Plus Cursive 2nd Grade (The Princess wants to write in cursive so badly.  She is trying without any formal lessons, so I thought this would be a good mix).

Science:  A.C.E. Science PACEs 1013 – 1024 (4th)

Social Studies:  A.C.E. Social Studies PACEs 1013 – 1024 (4th)

Music:  Continue with violin lessons

Art:  Home Art Studio 2nd Grade

Bible:  AWANA, Ladybugs Bible Study group, just Mom and Me Having Tea Bible Study (6 weeks)

Foreign Language:  Local Chinese School

Keyboarding:  A.C. E. Readmaster Plus

 DSCN8028

The Queen 4th Grade

Math:   A.C.E. Math PACEs 1037 - 1048 (4th)

English:  A.C.E. English PACEs 1037 - 1048

Spelling:  A.C.E. Word Building PACEs 1037 - 1048 and/or  All About Spelling Level 1

Literature:  A.C.E. Creative Writ/Lit PACEs 1037 - 1048

Handwriting:  Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Success 4th Grade

Science:  A.C.E. Science PACEs 1037 - 1048 (4th)

Social Studies:  A.C.E. Social Studies PACEs 1037 – 1048 (4th)

Art:  Home Art Studio 2nd Grade

Bible:  AWANA, Ladybugs Bible Study group, just Mom and Me Having Tea Bible Study (6 weeks)

Keyboarding:  A.C. E. Readmaster Plus

Sports:  Upward Soccer Spring 2014; (Horseback riding ?)

adam-guitarGodzilla 9th Grade

We are contemplating enrolling Godzilla into the school at our church.  I have not finalized any curricula for him since we are undecided. It is not that I don’t want to homeschool high school. He will continue with his guitar lessons for sure!  I love having my children home all day.  I love the relationships that they have built with each other.  I will be sad to not have Godzilla home (not to mention driving into town twice a day!).  It is just determining what is best for Godzilla. 

So, there it is.

2 comments:

Red Hen said...

Now that is some serious planning! And I thought I was ahead of the game! You are on it!

Anonymous said...

PACES curriculum comes in handy both for the parents and the child. It has self explanatory instructions that can be easily understood wherein the parent can leave the child to do his work and can just check the pace work after the child is done. This is a program that is convenient and not time consuming. The best reward that a child can get is that if he is responsible in finishing his assigned paces for the day, he may choose to move on to the next pace or would rather choose to go out and play. For parents, they can go on with their household chores and still enjoy their personal life.